Water damage can be a major problem in any home, and it's important to identify the source of the leak before it gets worse. Fortunately, there are certain clues that can help you detect wall leaks and other sources of water damage. You can look for signs such as peeling paint or wallpaper, discoloration spots, or a musty smell inside. To identify the exact location of a water leak, you can use a water meter or cut through walls.
It's also important to be aware of the potential causes of water damage. Overwatering is one common cause, as well as obstructed gutters and downspouts, an inadequate slope of the terrain, or a fault in the roof system. If you suspect that there are hidden leaks in your home, a water damage restoration company can use non-invasive leak detection solutions to locate and repair them. To help you get to the source quickly, here are 10 tips for finding water leaks:
- Examine the floor around accessories and appliances that use water, such as toilets, tubs, dishwashers, and refrigerators.
- Check for cracked or deformed floors or spongy stains on the floor.
- Look for discoloration on walls (yellowish or brown) or water stains.
- Examine walls and ceilings of rooms located directly below bathrooms.
- Check gutters, downspouts, and foundations if walls are located on a lower level.
- Inspect joists and roof tiles if damp walls are at a higher level.
- Check for higher-than-normal water bills.
- Look for reduced water pressure.
- Be aware of strange smells or noises coming from the plumbing system.
- Find your water meter near the street or where the water supply line connects to the house.
A professional water damage restoration company can help protect your home by detecting and stopping abnormal levels of water flow underground or in other hidden locations. They can also use several non-invasive leak detection solutions to locate and repair hidden leaks. At Reynolds Restoration Services, we have been helping homeowners and businesses in the Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Baltimore regions for more than 15 years with the repair and restoration of water damage. We understand how important it is to identify and resolve leaks quickly before they cause further damage.
If you need help with water damage restoration in Central Florida, don't hesitate to contact us today!.