Water damage can be difficult to identify, especially when it comes to mold. Mold growth is often caused by water damage, and it can be difficult to tell the difference between the two. However, there are some key differences that can help you identify mold after water damage. Mold growth is usually fuzzy and nearly transparent when it's new, but as it develops, it forms unmistakable dark spots on the affected surfaces.
It can also be orange, purple, yellow, or green. Water damage, on the other hand, has bubbles or peels that make it thick and loose. Mold growth is usually viscous, damp, and can be stained if touched. Exposure to certain mold species can also be hazardous to health.
Common mold-related symptoms include headaches, fatigue, skin rashes, allergic reactions, and other respiratory problems. The first signs of a potential mold problem are usually a “musty smell” or visible discoloration on ceilings, walls, or valuables. There is a wide variety of mold species that can cause these issues. To properly identify the source of the problem and determine the best course of action for remediation, it's important to have the affected area analyzed by a professional.
We highly recommend Cheryl Eckard Environmental Services for this purpose. They can perform an adhesive tape test on a visibly affected area as well as an air sample test. It's important to hire a professional to inspect the damage because trying to clean or remove the material will cause mold spores to spread through the air. Airborne mold infestation will require much deeper remediation. Mold grows in humid conditions, so water leaks from leaking water pipes often contribute to the growth and spread of mold. If the water damage is very minor and you've solved the source of the problem and dried and disinfected the area before the mold could grow, you can most likely simply paint on a light water stain. In cases of small spills or leaks where you've thoroughly dried and sealed the source of the problem immediately, a water stain can be exactly what a water stain is.
A local mold inspection is an easy and thorough way to investigate all areas of the house for peace of mind. You should also inspect your home on your own for water damage. Damage caused by water that slipped through cracks without being detected is usually the result of mold, and it is recommended that you remove it to improve the quality of the indoor air in your home. Regardless of whether it's mold or water damage, you'll most likely want to repair the damage and eliminate the unsightly appearance of a stained or moldy interior. If you find what appears to be efflorescence in your home, you should look for signs of water damage. Many homeowners experiencing water damage for the first time wonder why they are recommended to call a mold removal and remediation company immediately. The costs of restoring water damage, on the other hand, depend on the extent of the damage and the type of materials damaged. Routinely check your water bills for unusual increases and check your water meter's leak detector for signs of leaks.